Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Making Progress

Kids being back at school means that I am back at work! The year for us starts with a couple of professional devevlopment days before we get to start working with the kids. I can't wait to get back to the kids but it has been quite nice spending some time with my colleagues, I dont get to see them very much. My boss called on me as an 'expert' yesterday! I am not an expert, just been there longer than most, it was quite nice though I must admit!

We have some new colleagues just starting this term, they are really nice. I never know whether it is ok to mention Lola when meeting new people. To be honest I was a bit scared on the first day about what questions I would be asked and how I would answer them so I was a bit withdrawn. The second day I spent with them, the fact that I had a baby 9 months ago did come up. I talked about what happened and I didn't cry! That is a first for me! It was really nice to be able to talk about what happened, to not feel like I had to hide Lola's existence. They were super nice too. They asked me questions and didn't look scared to talk to me about it. One of them had also had a baby die in her family too. I think this is going to be a good year folks, a year for healing and happiness, mostly!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Excellent! Good for you :-) xx

Unknown said...

I am glad you had a positive kick off to the new working year xx

E. said...

Hi... I'm new to your blog and have enjoyed (and cried) while reading it. I thought you deserved a blog award fro great attitude and gratitude. It's here: http://whiningattheworld.blogspot.com/

mand said...

I can be such a conversation stopper, hard to know how to tell people, especially strangers or casual acquaintances like someone who comes to fix the boiler... I used to hate when they over-reacted, and really resent it if they under-reacted.

Helped a lot when i learnt to make eye contact as i said it, but i kept forgetting at first. And it helps to have a change of subject ready in case they look really awkward about it, or you just don't want to utter a second sentence on the subject that day. I do think people these days are far more likely to react 'well' than, say fifty years ago.

Well done getting past this. I am so glad you are feeling a bit more ok at the moment. Don't panic when the 'downs' come along, they get less frequent, shorter and less deep. Honestly.

I have a good feeling about 2010 too, even though many people are having to count January in with 2009 to keep that true! From here on, we all get stronger. :0)