Sunday, August 16, 2009

Someone so tiny


Lately I have been feeling quite blown away by the impact that Lola, such a teeny, tiny little person who wasn't given the opportunity to take her first breath, has had on people far and wide. Of course she has had a massive impact on us, her family, but that, of course, would have happened if she had not died too. It is the impact on those outside our little family that has really amazed me.

This was particularly pertinent to us this weekend. Some family were in town that we havn't seen since Lola died. On our way home from dinner last night I mentioned to Bren that this person seemed the most happy, relaxed and confident that we have seen her. I mentioned this to her today and she said it was because of Lola. She said that since Lola died she has realised that life is too short to sweat the small stuff (my interpretation, cant remember her exact words as I was busy trying to hold back tears) and that she is feeling more happy and comfortable in her own skin than she has for a long time. It made me so happy to hear her say that. So happy for her that she has been able to make that change but also so happy that Lola's short little life had had enough of an impact on her to make her change her life for the better.

One thing I have felt really strongly about since Lola died is that I have not wanted her death to have been in vain. I wanted her life to be remembered, to bring about change and to have a positive impact on the world.

2 comments:

Chaos said...

I love that picture. It is very powerful, just as Lola's life was x

Anonymous said...

I tried commenting yesterday but the internet had a brain freeze...
Anyway, I just wanted to say that I have no doubt Lola has touched many, many lives already. I know that I have so much more gratitude in my heart now for my daughter and a deeper understanding of the miracle that each baby and child is. And I'm sure I'm not the only parent who is able to give that extra hug or spend that extra ten minutes playing with their child because of Lola and the way you have shared her story - what an incredible gift.
I am so sorry that you are having to go through this but I am certain that nothing about Lola's brief visit and her passing has been in vain.