Monday, June 15, 2009

Random acts of kindness

I have decided to take up the latest Blog this challenge. Well actually I didn't have a choice, I have been shown SO much kindness over the last 6 weeks that me participating is a given really! The only difficulty is deciding which random act of kindness to discuss!

When I was thinking about all the acts of kindness my family and I have been shown recently there is one in particular that keeps popping up in my head, especially in that I think it is something that will be treasured from the bottom of my heart for the rest of my life.

On the afternoon I found out that my daughter's heart had stopped beating at 41 weeks gestation I sent a text to a few of my closest friends and family to let them know what had happened. At that stage I'm sure they all probably expected the text to be an announcement of our babies birth rather than letting them know that her heart had stopped beating and that she was still yet to be born. We received text messages back from everyone letting us know they were thinking of us and how sorry they were to hear the news.

Later that night one of my oldest and dearest friends sent me another text asking if I wanted her to organize a photographer to come to the hospital after the baby was born to take photo's of her. To be honest organizing a photographer is one of the last things we would have thought to do so having this suggestion made to us plus having someone organize the whole thing was a godsend. My friend told me of a charity, of which she is a member, of photographers who offer their services for free for families of stillborn or ill babies. They also give you a number of prints of the photo's and a disc with a copy of all the images captured.

Once our baby was born all we had to do was call my friend and she would organize the rest. The photographer was at the hospital within an hour of Lola being born and stayed for 3 or 4 hours. He was a beautiful man and took amazing photo's during this time. Even at the time I didn't realise how precious these photo's would become to our family. He captured all those post-birth moments and now, that is all we have of our precious Lola. Even now, only six weeks after her birth, I look at the photo's and realise that there were so many little memories we would have lost forever if it wasn't for the beautiful photo's we have.

I also have to add that though my gorgeous friend organized the photographer for us, that same evening, on a forum to which I am a member, I had about 8 other people contact me to let me know about the charity including another of the member photographers. It really is one of the kindest things you can offer to the parents and families that have lost a child in these circumstances. Since we lost Lola I have read so many stories of families who have hardly any photos of their baby and deeply regret not having more. I will be forever grateful to all the people that were in some way involved in helping us capture on film these oh so precious moments. Below is one of our favourite photos! Thankyou for reading



Photographer: Gavin Blue (C/o Australian Community of Child Photographers)

10 comments:

Michelle said...

I've just found your blog.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

You and your family will be in my thoughts.

Michelle

carly said...

thank you for sharing. and my thoughts are with you. xx

beautiful random act of kindness.

KH said...

What a lovely gesture from your friend. So very sorry for the loss of your precious daughter.

mand said...

Arrived here from Spilt Milk and i'm glad to be able to give you {hugz} even though you've never heard of me. Elizabeth mentioned a friend had lost a baby, when it happened, and you've been in my mind without knowing who you were.

Our son Owen died in 1996, aged 17 hours. It does get easier, in the end. I am so glad you have all these lovely photos - i understand how much that means. And i am glad you are surrounded by supportive family and friends.

I don't mean to sound too 'glad' but i trust you to take this comment the way it's intended - you know there are no words anyway. It's the one situation where i always lose my fluency.

If you'd like to, to say anything or nothing, email me via my blog.

Kristalee said...

Thankyou for reading everyone!

Oh and Mand I am really sorry about the loss of your son Owen and I am glad to hear that things do get easier. I absolutely get what you mean in your comment. Thankyou for taking the time to visit my blog.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Thank you for speaking about the ACOCP and we hope you treasure your beautiful photos of Lola for many years to come.

Jessie Broome
ACOCP President

Little mimoo said...

Thank you for sharing your story and I am so sorry for your loss.

what a lovely organisation!

Smithsholidayroad said...

What a wonderful act of kindness at such an emotional time. I am so very sorry for your loss of Lola xx

nellbe said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. What a wonderful friend you have. The photo is lovely, thank you so much for sharing.

Nisha said...

Such a beautiful gesture for a family with a broken heart... im so sorry for your loss.